Thanksgiving
a time when a family gets together and eats and celebrates finding America. A time when teachers and students finally get
a week off from school and up until the bell rings for thanksgiving break they
are “learning” about Thanksgiving. But what are they actually learning? Is this
true? As I am now in college, and
actually learning about this as many others finally learn the truth,
Thanksgiving is portrayed as a happy time where Pilgrims gave up everything to
get away from the evil king, and the nice Native American Indians helped us
out, and we all had a lovely big meal to celebrate. Is this true? WRONG
How
can we introduce the real truth behind Thanksgiving to children at a young age?
-
Introduce the meaning of being Mistreated , and being Disrespected
-
Try to talk about how would you feel if your family was taken
away from you?
-
Tell them that the Pilgrims were wrong what they did the
Native American Indians ( depending on age group, I’d advise careful word choosing)
When
I first heard that what I learned in kindergarten /elementary/middle school
about Thanksgiving and then hearing the truth when I was older I was insanely
mad. Why would people lie about Thanksgiving? Why do we even celebrate Thanksgiving? It seems that however painted this portrait
of “Thanksgiving celebrating with the Native American Indians” was ashamed of
what really happened. Its 2012, and I really believe that children should start
learning the truth about Thanksgiving, because if we don’t it’s a sub libel
message telling them its okay to lie. I feel as although we will be celerbating a lie until the real under lying message is addressed, and not made into this picture perfect thanksgiving. Thanksgiving can be still celerbated, but shouldn't be for discovering America. We can all use this day to be grateful for what we have , but telling little ones something it isn't is completely wrong.

No comments:
Post a Comment